How Women Perceive Men with Beards

Ever wanted to know how women perceive your beard (or lack thereof)? Good news! Researchers actually spent their valuable time figuring it out for you and they published their results in the Journal of Evolution and Human Behavior.

Evolution and ecology researchers Barnaby Dixon and Robert Brooks from the University of New South Wales in Austrailia discovered something amazing: women think men with beards are sexier, more masculine, better parents, and healthier. Here’s how the ol’ beard measures up on scales from clean shaven to fully bearded.

How women perceive men with beards

6 thoughts on “How Women Perceive Men with Beards

• March 13, 2014 at 12:10 am

I’m glad to know that my feelings about beards have been scientifically proven! I always felt a little strange saying that beards are “sexy” especially since my husband won’t grow one, but I guess I can’t help it!

• March 13, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I physically CAN’T grow one. Guess I’m outta luck. Good thing my wife hates beards (at least, that’s what she’s always told me–now I have to wonder…)

• March 14, 2014 at 10:14 am

As a very hairy man who loathed every beard he has ever grown, I much prefer heavy stubble to a real beard. If I had let it grow I’d look like a member of ZZ Top, just with more hair on my face.

• March 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm

What would researchers discover about stylized facial hair, or is it simply too out of fashion?

• April 4, 2014 at 4:28 am

Readers should understand that findings like these are not all encompassing of all cultures and populations. 80% of the women in the research were European.

• October 18, 2014 at 4:29 am

You’ve got to be kidding !!!
    Who participated in this survey ???
    Those results DO NOT reflect what MOST WOMEN THINK. Especially not any women I know.

I can honestly say that most women think beards are gross!! Food gets caught in them, drinks stain them and they are just simply perceived as being unclean.

Personally, I have never kissed a man with a beard more than once. I did recently kiss a man who had a beard and he smelt like soap – not a turn on at all. Nice that he was clean, but that’s all.

Clean shaven is great. I love seeing a man’s face, and it shows that he values himself enough to take care of himself daily.
    Light stubble is prickly and painful to kiss 🙁 Ouch!
    Heavy stubble is sexy and rugged – on the right guy. Not all guys can get away with this look though.
    A full beard is just gross. It’s old fashioned and is perceived as being unclean.

I’m just saying….