What Does Your Font Choice Say about You (and your document)?

Font choice matters. Beyond just transforming the entire feel of a document, the font you choose actually says a lot about you, too. Do you always stick with the defaults (like Calibri and Times New Roman)? Are you in love with a cliche or hated font, like Comic Sans or Papyrus? Do you use a font that all your favorite movie titles are in?

Do you actually put much thought at all into the font you use?

If you haven’t thought about font choice much before, hopefully this chart will help you get thinking. Which font do you lean towards using next?

If-You-Use-This-Font

Buy-The-Poster_35

5 thoughts on “What Does Your Font Choice Say about You (and your document)?

• March 31, 2016 at 2:05 am

I was hoping for something USEFUL. Instead it is just a collection of insults. Way below you. Do I need to unsubcribe and look elsewhere for useful professional advice?

• March 31, 2016 at 6:05 pm

As a professional, I’m offended by the chart, it’s juvenile. I need real advice. I may pick a font that is cool, and professional in style, but when I use it in a program like PowerPoint, the font may not be supported by the software, so I’m left to using the Calibri, Arial, Garamond (maybe), or Times Roman. What do you suggest then?

• March 31, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Sorry you find offense in the chart. Indeed, it over-simplifies the idea of font choice. The chart’s goal is simply to generate font selection awareness, as many non-designers in professional situations typically spend little time thinking about typeface selection. Taken too seriously, sure, the chart may feel like an attack.

But the reality is, there’s nothing inherently wrong with any font. Any given font could be appropriate in a particular context. But recognizing that, for example, Calibri is way overused because it’s the default, or using Comic Sans in a situation that should be more professional, is silly. But if you need Garamond or Times, you might find appropriate use for either or both. They’re both fine fonts.

That said, and you’ll even see on the chart, Century Gothic is a great alternative to the overused fonts, yet it is supported on any computer. For PowerPoints, Century Gothic is a fine choice.

I do appreciate the feedback. It encourages me to think through how I might make a more useful chart that goes beyond creating basic awareness.

• April 12, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I got the point of this chart and found it quite amusing. I suppose that if you had made your point about no font being inherently wrong in your text, it might have calmed the reaction of some. But I do think the chart made your point well.

• May 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm

I got a kick out of your chart. Apparently your regular customers are much too “professional” to find amusement in their jobs. Thank you for your light-hearted and well meant attempt at jolting people out of their comfort zones!